TOP STORIES

Battery giant CATL to build $1.8bn offshore wind farm

RICHARD HEAP

February 2, 2024

Chinese battery manufacturing giant Contemporary Amperex Technology has won government backing in China’s Fujian province to build an 800MW offshore wind farm.

CATL is developing the project through its subsidiary Fujian Runshi Offshore Wind Power, in which it owns a 96% stake, with the other 4% owned by Fujian Mindong Electric Power and PowerChina Fujian Electric Power Engineering. The project secured backing from Fujian Provincial Development & Reform Commission on Monday.

The offshore wind farm is set to be located near CATL’s headquarters in Ningde in southeast Fujian Province and power CATL’s battery production operations.