TOP STORIES

Fortum and Helen commission 380MW Finnish project

RICHARD HEAP

May 15, 2024

Finnish energy companies Fortum and Helen have commissioned the 56-turbine 380MW Pjelax onshore wind farm in Finland’s Kristiinankaupunki and Närpiö regions.

The project is set to produce around 1TWh of electricity annually. Fortum owns 60% of the wind farm and Helen owns the remaining 40%. Helen will also buy around 50% of electricity produced by the wind farm until the end of its life cycle.

Markus Rauramo, president and chief executive of Fortum, said: “With 380MW, Pjelax will double the wind power capacity operated by Fortum. Wind power plays an important role alongside the rest of our emission-free power generation. In line with our strategy, we provide clean electricity in the Nordic countries and help in electrifying industry to reduce its emissions.”

Olli Sirkka, chief executive of Helen, said: “The Pjelax wind farm is a significant joint effort by Helen and Fortum to increase renewable electricity production. Wind power generation creates a competitive advantage for Finland. Increasing the supply lowers customers’ electricity prices and enables investments based on the consumption of clean electricity.”

Construction on the scheme started in January 2022.

Read more